Transfer Students

  • Why Transfer?

    New York City and The New School are a natural destination if you are a young musician looking for an environment where world-class training meets unparalleled opportunities. Whether you are attending a community college and looking for a place to complete a bachelor's degree, attending a four-year college and looking for a change of scenery, or have left college without graduating and are looking for a place to finish your degree, the School of Jazz at The New School could be the destination for you. Here is some information about preparing to transfer and applying as a transfer student.

    Application Requirements for Transfer Students

    • If you have earned any college credits at another institution, you are considered a transfer applicant. In addition to the normal admission requirements, you must also submit official transcripts from every college or university you attended.
    • If you attended a college or university outside of the United States, you must provide a course-by-course evaluation of foreign transcripts by the World Educational Services (www.wes.org) or another approved evaluation service. Go to International Students Services for more information.
    • Transfer applicants who have completed fewer than 24 college credits (on a semester system) must submit high school transcript(s) in addition to college transcripts. Transfer students must complete at least two years of study in our program. (If you have completed a bachelor's degree already, do not provide a high school transcript.)
    • Follow all other general application instructions.

    Information About Transferring Credits from Another College

    The New School normally accepts credits from other regionally accredited colleges and universities. Courses taken at other institutions are evaluated on a case-by-case basis, and students may be asked to provide course syllabi, portfolios, and other pertinent documentation. The School of Jazz evaluates college transcripts for transferable courses in three categories:

    • Music studio courses: These include performance ensembles, private lessons, music theory, ear-training, sight-singing, class piano, and other courses primarily involving music performance and analysis. We give full credit for these courses provided grades of B or better were assigned. Note: Our acceptance of transfer credits does not constitute a waiver of any of the studio courses required by our BFA program. All incoming students are given placement tests to determine what music studio courses they must take at The New School.
    • Music history courses: The New School BFA program requires five music history courses: two on jazz history, one on classical music history, and two on 20th-century topics. Music history courses taken at another institution satisfy the requirement only if they are deemed equivalent to our courses.
    • Liberal arts courses: You can apply up to 18 transfer credits to meet liberal arts requirements in nonmusical topics. Note, however, that six credits of English composition must be taken in residence at The New School regardless of the number of transfer credits.

    If your previous institution is not accredited by a recognized regional association of colleges and universities, or if you have other questions about the transferability of credits you have earned, email jazzadm@newschool.edu. Please be specific about your concerns; we will do our best to address them.

    Transfer Credit Policy

    A maximum of 64 credits can be transferred to the School of Jazz at The New School. Of these, a total of 48 credits can be classified as music studio, 15 credits as music history, and 15 credits as liberal arts. To graduate, students must complete all New School degree requirements, including a total of 128 credits (at least 80 credits earned in residence at The New School and up to 48 credits transferred).

    Final transferability of credits is determined solely by the Office of Admission. Credit transfer must be completed during your first semester at The New School. All transfer students, regardless of the number of credits they expect to transfer, must take placement examinations before registering for the first time at The New School. These examinations cover ear training, theory and performance, piano, rhythmic analysis, sight-reading, arranging, and instrumental proficiency.