Frequently Asked Questions

  • Questions About Applications

  • Do I need to send a recording with my application?

    Mannes requires applicants in piano, violin, cello, flute, voice, and composition to submit prescreening materials as part of their application for admission. You must submit your recording electronically through Acceptd .

    Do you grant application fee waivers?

    The New School waives application fees for those who meet the eligibility guidelines outlined in the online application.

    Should I send more than one recommendation letter?

    Letters of recommendation are required for all applicants — one for undergraduate applicants, two for graduate applicants. Please review the Application Instructions for more information.

    How will I know whether you have received my application form?

    You will receive a confirmation email, which will be sent to the email address included in the online application.

    How can I find out whether you have received all the support materials required in my application?

    An Individual application checklist will be posted on the Admission Hub soon after we receive your application. Please allow up to two weeks from the date you submit any supporting materials for these to be noted on the Admission Hub .

    What happens if I miss the deadline?

    It is essential that we receive your application, as complete as possible, as well as the $50 application fee by the deadlines listed on the Application Instructions website. If you anticipate that other required materials, such as the letters of recommendation or the official transcripts, will be late, please ensure that they arrive shortly after the deadline.

    Can I defer my enrollment to a future term?

    Deferral guidelines can be found on the Accepted Students website.

  • Questions About Auditions

  • What are the audition requirements?

    Please see the Auditions section of this website for details of audition requirements.

    Do I have to audition in person at Mannes, or can I just send a recording?

    Applicants for Orchestral Conducting, Theory, Composition, and Collaborative Piano must audition live in New York City. All other applicants are strongly encouraged to audition live in New York City or at one of our regional audition sites. However, video auditions will be accepted if this is not possible. Please see the Audition Requirements for more detailed information regarding video audition repertoire.

    I am a master's degree or professional studies diploma applicant. What is my audition repertoire?

    Applicants for the Master of Music and Professional Studies Diploma programs should refer to Audition Requirements   for repertoire guidelines.

    What if I have auditions at Mannes and at another school scheduled on the same day?

    If you have auditions at other schools that conflict with your appointment at Mannes, please email  as soon as possible. We will do our best to work with you to accommodate your schedule.

  • Audition Dates

  • What are the audition dates?

    What is my audition time?

    Applicants who pass the pre-screen or do not have a pre-screen requirement will be contacted and asked to use our online audition scheduling software to select their own audition date and time from all available spots.

    What is a better time to audition, March or May?

    We recommend that applicants audition in March. Although applicants receive full consideration in our May auditions, certain majors may be closed if enrollment has been filled from March auditions.

  • Questions About Competitiveness

  • How competitive is admission at Mannes?

    Mannes is a highly competitive conservatory. The admission process is designed to provide us with a complete picture of each applicant. The Admission Committee weighs a variety of criteria, including performance ability, musicianship skills, and potential as well as English language aptitude (for applicants whose first language is not English), musical and academic background, and letters of recommendation.

    What SAT scores do I need to get in to Mannes?

    We are concerned most about your artistry and therefore do not require SAT I/II or ACT scores.

    What percentage of applicants are accepted to Mannes?

    The number of applications varies each year; therefore, it is hard to provide a specific percentage. We generally admit about one third of applicants.

  • Questions About Programs

  • What programs do you offer at Mannes?

    See the Programs of Study page on this site for information about our degree and diploma programs.

    Does Mannes offer a jazz program?

    Mannes does not have a jazz major, but The New School's College of Performing Arts does include the School of Jazz . If you would like to contact the School of Jazz's Office of Admission, email .

    Can I take classes part-time or as a nonmatriculated student?

    At this time, Mannes does not offer any part-time programs. Applicants interested in part-time options should look into The New School's Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students or Open Campus for some excellent part-time and non-degree options.

  • Questions About Financial Aid

  • Does Mannes offer scholarships?

    Yes. Mannes awards merit-based scholarships to applicants based on the review of their applications and auditions. Scholarship awards are determined by a committee of faculty members, administrators, and financial aid advisors after the auditions. Federal financial aid is also available to U.S. citizens through the FAFSA .

    What can you tell me about financial aid?

    New School Student Financial Services strives to ensure that all qualified students attending Mannes benefit from the broad array of financial aid programs available, including scholarships, grants, and loans.

    Need-based scholarships, loans, and federal grants are available to U.S. citizens and permanent residents who submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA code: 002780). This application can be obtained online at .

  • Questions About Housing

  • Does Mannes offer housing? Where is your residence hall located?

    Mannes offers its students accommodation through New School Housing. New School Housing provides modern and affordable accommodations to undergraduate and graduate students.

    While students are free to choose to live in any residence hall offered by The New School (according to degree program), Mannes first-year students are assigned placement in the apartment-style suites whenever possible. Housing is guaranteed for first-year students.

    Many Mannes students prefer to find accommodations independent of The New School. We do not require students to live in on-campus housing. For information about nonuniversity housing, we recommend consulting the New York Times and Village Voice websites.

  • Questions About Mannes

  • How can I contact or meet a faculty member?

    The Admission Office encourages you to meet with a member of our faculty with whom you are interested in studying. If you would like to schedule a lesson or meeting, email the faculty member directly or call our office at 212.229.5150 or 800.292.3040. Please remember that you are auditioning us, too!

    Can I take a tour of the school?

    Tours of Mannes, scheduled through the Welcome Center, are available Monday through Friday. We think there is no better way for you to learn about our community of artists. To schedule a visit, email Denise Rodriguez at , or call our office at 212.229.5150 or 800.292.3040.

    I would like to transfer to Mannes. What do I need to know?

    Students interested in transferring from other colleges may enter at the start of the second semester in January, subject to the approval of the Admission Committee. The application deadline for mid-year enrollment is October 15. Auditions take place in early December. Please contact the Admission Office for information regarding the number of openings. Not all fields will have openings for mid-year entrance.

  • Questions About English Language Requirements

  • What is the minimum score needed on the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language), the IELTS (International English Language Testing System), or PTE (Pearson Test of English) for Mannes admission?

    All applicants whose first language is not English must submit valid TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores. The minimum score required for TOEFL (IB) is 79, for IELTS is 6.5, and for PTE is 53. Our TOEFL institution code is 2398.

    I currently attend a U.S. high school. Do I have to submit a TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE score?

    If English is your second language, you are required to submit a TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE score. Mannes does not accept SAT scores in place of the TOEFL.

    "Native language" is defined as the main language you grew up speaking at home.

    I went to/currently attend a U.S. college or university; do I have to submit a TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE score?

    Yes. We request that TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores be current (not more than two years old). Scores more than two years old will not be accepted unless the applicant has been studying in a college or university in the United States and includes a letter requesting exemption with his or her application material.

    I took the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE more than two years ago. Do I have to retake the test?

    Yes. Scores must be current (no more than two years old) and must be sent directly to Mannes by the testing service. Scores more than two years old will not be accepted unless the applicant has been studying in a college or university in the United States and includes a letter requesting exemption with his or her application material.

    I still have the test results that the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE testing service sent me. Can I just send it (or a photocopy) with my application?

    Mannes will not accept photocopies of TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores. All scores must be sent directly to Mannes by the testing service.

    I haven't taken the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE yet. When do I need to take it?

    We strongly encourage you to take the test by December 15 to ensure that the score arrives in time for you to receive an audition.

    For applicants auditioning in May, Mannes requires that all TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores be submitted by May 1; applicants must therefore take the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE exam by April 1.

    Mannes will not be able to determine the results of applications submitted without all the required materials.

    I live in the United States, I am bilingual, and English is one of my first languages. Do I have to take the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE?

    "First language" is defined as the language of the country in which a student has completed his or her primary (elementary school) education or the main language he or she grew up speaking at home. If this applies to you, you are not required to take the test.