Public Engagement

Transfer Students

  • Undergraduate Programs Transfer Credits

    Up to 84 credits for courses completed at another college or university may be transferred into the Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students at The New School. Of those, no more than 60 may be for lower-level coursework. To be accepted for transfer, the credits must have been earned in courses consistent with the mission of The New School and for which grades of C or better were awarded. The New School accepts credit from regionally accredited institutions. Coursework from non-regionally-accredited institutions will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis; students may be asked to provide course syllabi, portfolios, and other pertinent documentation.

    Official transcripts must be provided from every college or university attended at the time of application. For students who have attended a college or university outside of the United States, an official credential evaluation must be completed. Our recommended provider is World Education Services, but any NACES member organization may be used. Please be sure to request a "course-by-course/comprehensive" evaluation.

    Our admission counselors are available to assess your prior credits and give a preliminary transfer credit evaluation. Please call 212.229.5150 or 800.292.3040 to schedule a meeting with an admission counselor.

    The New School has formal agreements with a number of institutions to facilitate the transfer process:

    Graduate Programs Transfer Credits

    Depending on the program, MA/MS students may be able to transfer up to 9 graduate credits from outside institutions.

    Transfer credits must fit the following criteria:

    1. Relevant to course of study
    2. From an accredited university
    3. Graduate level coursework only

    Students wishing to transfer credit must submit a Transfer Credit form along with a copy of their official transcript showing the grades for the proposed courses to department for approval. Please review the current Schools of Public Engagement catalog for program policy on transfer credit.

    Grades transferred from outside institutions will not be factored into your GPA.