We continue to monitor and respond to the public health situation regarding COVID-19. Most buildings on our New York campus have closed until further notice. Check the Parsons Paris website for information about our Paris campus.
Learn More

  • Update Your Personal Information

    The Office of the Registrar maintains addresses and telephone numbers for currently enrolled students. It is important for all students, especially international students, to keep their home and local addresses and phone numbers current in the university's records. You can view and update your contact information, including your official, local, permanent, through my.newschool.edu.

    Per the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), only the enrolled student may make changes to their academic record, including contact information and name.

    Change of Legal Name

    You may request for a change to your legal name by completing the Change of Legal Name form. The form must be submitted with at least one of the following supporting documents: a certified court order, marriage license, divorce decree, social security card, passport, etc. reflecting your new legal name. All supporting documentation must be in English or be submitted with a certified English translation.

    All official University documents, including but not limited to transcripts, verification letters, and diplomas, will reflect a student's legal name (as it appears on a legal or government issued document such as birth certificate, social security card, court order, passport, etc.) after the change has been approved. Current or former students wishing to obtain replacements to their university documents with their changed legal name will need to so by requesting new copies or replacements of those documents (charges may apply).

    Disclaimer: This policy does not stipulate a contract. The New School reserves the right to modify, change, alter, or rescind our policy at any time.

    Change of Non-Legal Name (Preferred Name)

    Current students who have not legally changed their names can request that the university notify their instructors of their preferred first name and pronoun. Students should contact the Office of Intercultural Support at 212.229.8996 or ois@newschool.edu for more information. Please note that a preferred name will not be displayed on any legal documentation, including transcripts, bills or receipts of payment, tax documentation, financial aid paperwork, diplomas, verification letters or I-20 documents.

    If you are an alumni who wishes to change your preferred name, please contact Alumni Relations atalumni@newschool.edu.


    Update your address and phone number

    Update your address and phone number at my.newschool.edu

    • Official Mailing Address: All students must have an Official Mailing address on file. The official mailing address is where all University mailings are sent, including diplomas. Graduating students must submit an updated official mailing address if your address will change upon graduation, or you will not receive your diploma.

    • Permanent Address:All students must have a permanent address on file. For many students, the official and permanent address will be the same. For those who live at one address, but have all university mailings sent to another address (ex. billing, diploma), you will use the permanent address as your home address, and the official mailing address for all university mailings.

    • Local Address: The local address is considered a campus address. The US government requires all international students, regardless of status, to report or update their local residential address within 10 days of every move while attending The New School.

    Add or update your personal Email address

    To update your personal email address, send a written request from your New School email to the Registrar’s office at  regandrecords@newschool.edu.

    Add or update your SSN and Date of Birth

    Students can bring original legal documents in person to the Registrar’s Office at 72 Fifth Avenue, Second level  or submit a copy by fax to 212-229-5648.

    The following are acceptable forms of documentation:

    • Social Security Card

    • State ID

    • Driver’s License

    • Birth Certificate

    • Passport

    Update Your MyNewSchool Account

    Students can change or reset their MyNewSchool password here.  For assistance with all other MyNewSchool password issues, contact the University IT Service Desk at 212.229.5300 xHELP (4357).